UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS BOSTON
UMASS BOSTON AT 50
This 50th anniversary commemorative book was published in summer 2015. Its primary author, Michael Feldberg, turned his manuscript over to consulting editor Jeffrey Mitchell, who turned to me for assistance in adding profiles, vignettes, and other text.
I wrote the profiles of Audrey Taub ’69, UMass Boston’s first student; several notables among faculty, institute directors, and researchers; former chancellor Sherry Penney; and current chancellor J. Keith Motley. I also wrote section subheads as needed, culled more than three dozen student quotes from 40 years of university publications, wrote the timeline for each chapter’s introductory page, and wrote brief profiles of selected student winners of the university’s annual John F. Kennedy Award.
Chancellor Motley’s thank-you note to me commended my work, particularly his profile. He wrote, “You captured my thoughts—and delivered.”
“BUILDING MOMENTUM”: CHANCELLOR’S REPORT 2009-2010
The goal of this annual report was to communicate the palpable energy being felt at UMass Boston today. We wanted to send a strong message of growing leadership in many areas to external constituencies, including donors, funders, and prospective collaborators.
We decided to use profiles and vignettes to highlight achievements. I started with the attributes that best define the university, then built the content outline with stories emblematic of these attributes: noteworthy programs, departments, projects, and faculty and student accomplishments. I made the stories personal—not institutional—by telling them through the perspectives and voices of the dozens of people I interviewed.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES/PRESIDENT’S RESOURCE MATERIALS
- Write the chancellor’s semi-annual and annual reports to the University of Massachusetts president.
- Created the foundation document that became UMass Boston’s orientation for new University of Massachusetts trustees, 2010-2011; have updated it annually since 2013.
- Collaborated on a letter welcoming new University of Massachusetts president, Martin T. Meehan.
- Incorporated President Meehan’s goals for UMass Boston into the existing list of UMass system-based goals for the university; collaborated with the assistant chancellor and selected vice chancellors to identify how those goals are to be measured.
DIGESTS OF INTERNAL ANNUAL REPORTS
- Have been developing comprehensive digests of internal reports since the 2008-2009 academic year. Aligned with institutional messaging, the digests have become a template to guide vice chancellors in the structure and content of their reporting.
- Collaborated with University Communications to revise a summary of UMass Boston’s history.
- Search committee materials: Compiled and wrote profiles of the institution and the chancellor, given to candidates in the 2008 provost search.
- Accreditation review documents: Created templates and provided writing/editing support.
RESEARCH FACULTY PROFILES
The communications head of the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs hired me to write faculty profiles published in multiple editions of its RISC Quarterly publication, its annual report, and on the office's website. The profiles highlight faculty scholars who have made outstanding contributions to their fields of study. Among them are green chemist Wei Zhang, chemist Deyang Qu, and Monet scholar Paul Tucker.
Commencement program collateral I have written since 2009 includes profiles of each year's honorary degree recipients.